Monday, September 24, 2007

GETTING STOOD UP

So I took yesterday off so that I could meet with that guy coming from California to buy the van. He never showed, nor was I able to get a hold of him. I guess he does not have his own cell phone, he uses his cousins. Its pretty frustrating to be told that someone is going to come and do something and not to do it, or even let me know. Not only did I spend a good chunk of money getting the van working (replacing the battery), I took the day off work. I am going to call him this evening and see if he is still interested in it, if not I will put it back on craigslist. I really hope it sells soon.

I have read a little of PNL (Professional No-Limit Hold 'em) and I must say the book is pretty good. I really like the examples that are given and the way the book is written keeps it interesting. Also, I really like the ideas that they go over when playing hands and checking behind on turns when you have one pair hands to control pot size/give players chances to bluff on river. I realized after going through my hands that my hands became transparent. I would cbet the flop and usually give up on the turn if I missed. When I was hitting my hand I would cbet the flop, bet the turn for value, and fire the river.

I really think that this was a huge leak for me because players are slow playing hands against me, and Im paying them off, also I'm not allowing players to bluff with a lot of second best hands (second pair or worse). At these stakes players do not think that you would check the turn with a good one pair hand. They assume that you are betting all streets if you hit to protect your hand. If you ever notice that if you take the cbet flop, check turn, bet river. You get called by a much larger range of hands. The player thinks your bluffing the river, and his calling range becomes very wide.

I'm of course not going to be playing every top pair hand like this. Its going to depend a lot on the board texture, player (calling station, TAG etc) and chip stacks. Once I get online and get some good HH I think I am going to write up a mini strategy article about turn play against different opponents with strong, but vulnerable hands (i.e. top pair/top kicker). Hopefully I can write my first of many quality strat article.

I also have sit n' go strategy. I'm a little ways into it (I left PNL at a friends) and must say its not as good. But I'm giving it a chance.

No comments: